The certificate aims to provide an operational and conceptual understanding of how medical care and research can be shaped and undertaken in settings of conflict and fragility. This certificate comprises four courses including three core courses (Introduction to Conflict Medicine, Medical Care and Knowledge in Conflict, Health Research Methods in Conflict) and one specialty course (Cancer in Conflict)
The certificate core courses touch on the basic concepts in conflict medicine as well as the landscape, needs, and challenges around providing medical care at times of conflict. The core courses also highlight the contextualized challenges and approaches around conducting health research within the ecology of war in terms of organization, access, data collection and ethics.
The cancer in conflict specialty examines the status, approaches, challenges around cancer control, cancer registration, and cancer research methods in settings of conflict.
This certificate comprises four courses including three core courses:
- Introduction to Conflict Medicine
- Medical Care and Knowledge in Conflict
- Health Research Methods in Conflict
- One specialty course (War Wounds)
Upon completion of the certificate, learners should be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to identify key theories and concepts related to conflict and forced migration
- Identify the major actors, their roles, and their interconnectedness in settings of conflict and fragility
- Recognize the impact of conflict on health from a systems and community perspective
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to address physical psychological trauma, social wounds, acute and emergency care, and major diseases in times of conflict
- Exhibit a conceptual understanding of conducting qualitative and quantitative health research in conflict settings
- Understand the interplay conflict and cancer control, prevention, and care provision (specialty course)
- Discuss the importance, challenges, ethical considerations, and methods of cancer research in conflict (specialty course)”
The certificate is designed for medical and nursing students, medical trainees, medical practitioners, nurses, and other allied health professionals.